Wednesday, November 16, 2011

HCA Graduate Speaks About Leukemia


Mr. Hunter’s language arts class is reading a book entitled Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie. This book, by Jordan Sonnenblick, is about a boy named Steven who finds out that his brother Jeffrey has leukemia. The story chronicles the experiences of Jeffrey and Steven throughout the ordeal.
On Wednesday, November, 16, 2011, Dillon Villegas (son of Emily Villegas) came to speak to the class about leukemia. Dillon was diagnosed with leukemia during his high school career. He enjoys recounting his experiences and inspiring others who are going through difficult times. He is a strong Christian who loves to proclaim how his experiences have strengthened his faith in God.

Dillon shared a lot of information about how he has dealt with the disease. Students were amazed by the number of pills that Dillon had to take. During his presentation, he said, “I did the math on the way here. I have had to take 29,oo0 of these pills,” as he pointed to a green bottle.

 Students were able to ask Dillon questions about leukemia. When a student asked Dillon how he felt about having the disease, Dillon said, “I was angry with God at first and I didn’t understand it, but now I am closer to God than ever and I love to share my testimony with others.”   

No comments:

Post a Comment